The Importance of Highschool in your Life

Kirsten Schneider, Writer, Editor

Every teenager wakes up on a weekday and all think the same thing: “ugh, I hate school. I don’t want to go.” I can say I’ve had those thoughts, millions of times. Some teenagers don’t want to go to school because of too much drama, worried about someone fighting them, they’re tired, stressed about their grades, have something going on at home or mentally, or just simply don’t want to go. I understand all of those circumstances. For me personally, I haven’t wanted to go to school before, for majority of those reasons. There’s one thing we all fail to realize, the overall importance of highschool for our future.

Majority of teenagers actually slack off at school and only go to socialize with their friends or boyfriend/girlfriend. Some actually, only go to start drama and fights with others. While one reason may seem better than the other, they’re both still not the right reasons. 

Most of the teenagers that slack off in school, say highschool “isn’t worth it” or it’s “pointless”. That’s also not true. According to wahm.com, graduating from high school will determine how well you live for the next 50 years of your life. High school graduates earn $143 more per week than high school dropouts. College graduates earn $336 more per week than high school graduates ($479 more per week than high school dropouts). 

Most careers actually require a high school diploma, an GED, or something equivalent. The ones that don’t require a diploma, are mainly very heavy duty, hard working careers. These careers include, but aren’t limited to; truck drivers, mechanics, carpenters, operators, welders, technicians, and restaurant workers. These careers are typically male careers, which can be unfortunate for women. 

Now, those careers are OK. But, you can get way more options with just a simple GED or a high school diploma. With just a high school diploma, there are actually some high paying jobs, these include: Factory operators, subway/streetcar operators, mail superintendents, electrical repairs/installers, transportation inspectors, business operations specialists, gaming managers, power plant operators, media workers, farmers, power distributors, commercial pilots, detectives, nuclear power operators, and even more, according to businessinsider.com. 

If you want to make even more money, college may be the move, however, college can be extremely costly. You have some options though, which are student loans (which can be annoying), athletic scholarships, scholarships based off your ACT or SAT scores, scholarship based off your high school grades, and grants. A good route to take is community college for your basic classes, and then a normal university for your bachelors or masters degree. You can go into nursing, law, other medical fields, and other careers that can make 6 figures !

With your hard work, you can graduate high school to at least get a diploma. Just a diploma alone can get you far in life. You want to work hard for yourself, your family, and your future husband/wife & kids, right? It takes hard work and dedication to get through high school, but once it’s all over, you don’t have to worry about petty high school drama, fights, and all that other childish stuff. Focus on yourself and the real ones. High school is your start to adulthood, and everyone needs to take it seriously, but have fun at the same time. You got this!