Teens Sue to Block Trans Athletes from Girls’ Sports 

Alyssa Hernandez, Writer

Selina Soule, Chelsea Mitchell, and Alanna Smith are three high school girls’ that are supported by a nonprofit organization called Alliance Defending Freedom. Their point is that trans girls’ biological set up is unfair, they know who is going to win a Race before it even starts. The girls and their lawyer, Christiana Holcomb are stating that allowing trans girls to participate in sports “robs female athletes of opportunities because of the physical advantages of males” The girls state they should all have a fair chance. Selina, Chelsea, and Alanna all run for track at their school and are tired of competing against Terry Miller and Andraya Yearwood, two trans girls’ who also are on the track team. 

Terry Miller is retaliating though, she states, “I have faced discrimination in every aspect of my life and I no longer want to remain silent.” Both Terry and Andraya have worked hard to get victories and the other girls are being sore losers, upset about their losses. Terry and Andraya should be congratulated on their successes rather than hated on. 

The other girls on the track team are suing the Connecticut Association of Schools-Connecticut Interscholastic Athletic Conference and the boards of education. The Connecticut Association of Schools states that the school must follow an anti-discrimination law and respect any gender the said person identifies with.  

Since 2017 Terry and Andraya have won 15 championship races, Selina, Chelsea, and Alanna have always ended the race right behind them. Chelsea states that she wants a fair chance, she doesn’t care what place she gets 

Eight states have already restricted trans girls to not play in sports if they have not gone through the sex change procedures or taking hormonesConnecticut is one of the 17 states that does allow it. The Alliance Defending Freedom, who is supporting the girls suing, has asked the court to prevent trans girls from playing in sports for as long as the trials are going on.